31 Random Acts of Kindness – How to Inspire Kindness
Did you know that February 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day? I love the concept – but I think it’s a shame that we need to have a holiday for this when being kind should just be second nature to us all.
This entire week following up to the 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Week, so let’s all band together to do good and put smiles on others faces. Here are 31 random acts of kindness that you can do to help spread joy to those around you.
- Compliment someone that you don’t know – it can be on the smallest little detail about them, but they’ll really appreciate the fact that you said something nice to them.
- Send flowers to someone you love just because they take up space in your heart.
- Find a local charity and donate money toward their cause.
- Leave change on a wishing well and give someone a chance to make their own wishes.
- Write a hand-written letter to a long distance friend or relative. It’s so nice to get a letter in the mail and they’ll treasure what you’ve written them.
- Join in the movement to spread love and write a letter to a stranger to let them know that they are loved and that their life is full of meaning.
- Buy the meal of the people behind you in line at the fast-food restaurant that you go through or, if you’re feeling like spending a bit more, of the people in the booth or table behind you at a restaurant. Hopefully they’ll pass it on.
- Hold the elevator for someone that you see making their way down the hall (I always do this, because I hate when the elevator shuts just before I get there).
- Send a package to troops overseas – they’re serving our nation so it’s only fair that we give back to them.
- Leave post it notes on your coworkers desks with words of encouragement.
- Donate old clothes and other belongings you no longer want to a local charity or drive.
- If you live near your parents, make them a meal to show them how much you appreciate them.
- Clean up litter and trash around your workplace.
- Give your waiter or waitress a generous tip and make their night!
- Call your older or younger siblings to catch up and let them know how much you love them.
- Read to children at the library for storytime.
- Volunteer with organizations that make the world better day by day (like Austin Pets Alive! or Dress for Success).
- Bring in donuts for the office.
- Write a love note and hide it in your partner’s lunch box or a book they are reading.
- Let someone into your lane. They’re probably in a rush just like you.
- Buy a meal for a homeless person.
- Help out someone that you don’t like – they still deserve kindness, even if they aren’t your favorite people.
- Give shoutouts to your favorite social media accounts on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Let someone borrow your pen and tell them to keep it when they try to return it.
- Smile at strangers when you walk past them on the road or in the hallway.
- Keep your bad attitude to yourself and don’t get mad at people when they do something that aggravates you.
- Giving a glowing recommendation to someone you know on LinkedIn or to a company that you have done business with.
- Let someone take your seat on the bus or other public transportation.
- Leave heads up pennies on the sidewalk for other people to find – spread the good luck!
- Make soup and a get-well package for someone you know who is sick and at home in bed.
- Be kind to yourself and don’t let yourself work too hard. You deserve to get a breath of fresh air from time to time.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to start this week with a whole bunch of kindness. If I’m not spreading joy, then I’m not doing this thing called life right.
What are some random acts of kindness that you do? Share your stories of when you were kind or when someone was kind to you!
P.S. You’re kind of awesome and I thought you should know that. I’m not just saying it to be kind. It’s true.