5 Best Things About Being in a Long Distance Relationship

1.  It Gives You a Reason to Travel

011

Who else dreams about travelling the world?  Uhhh, that would be me.  Who else lacks the motivation to get off your ass and actually do it? That would also be me.  But if you’re anything like me, the idea of being able to physically be with your significant other is a great kick-in-the-keister needed to actually get travelling.  I live in Texas.  Boyfriend lived in California.  Can anyone say, Hello San Francisco?

And even if your destination isn’t as exciting as San Fran, travelling itself is an adventure regardless.  A significant other can spruce up just about any town when you’re finally in their presence again. So enjoy the travelling while you can.  Boy do I miss San Fran.

2.  You Get Most of the Benefits of Being Single, Without Being Single!

Notice I wrote “Most of.”  I am not condoning cheating, my friends.  

When you’re single, you are free to be who you want, do what you want, live the way you want to live.  You get a chance to explore yourself, find new hobbies, make new friends.  And while having a significant other is amazing, the ability to explore life without having to schedule it in between date nights is a luxury in itself.  So please don’t do what I did in my first LDR–curl up in a ball and long for him day and night (my grades that semester hit an all time low because of this)–learn to love yourself without needing his or her presence around you.  Participate in that archery club you’ve been dying to try out.  Take a zumba class.  Find yourself just like you would if you were single (but please put Tinder away).  I mean, what else are you going to do?

3.  You Appreciate Time with Your Significant Other More

img_1801

Sometimes I get irrationally jealous of my friends’ relationships on Facebook.  I mean, it’s not fair!  They get to spend every day with their boyfriends/girlfriends and I’m lucky if I get to see mine once a month.  And now that I’m 23, every time I open up Facebook, a new friend is announcing their engagement.  *Sob* When will it be my turn?

But in all fairness, I appreciate the time with my boyfriend so much more.  I’m lucky because I don’t get to see him every day.  And that means I can enjoy him when we are together.  It means that our short weekends together are going to be filled with much needed kisses, reassurances, dates, and love.  We don’t have to worry about work or our day-to-day lives getting in between our “us time.”  Think of these visits as mini vacations.  

4.  You Save Money

Here’s a joke for you (heads up, it’s a tad raunchy):

Q: Why are girlfriends like condoms?

A: They spend 99% of their time in your wallet, and the other 1% on your dick.

In all seriousness though, unless you’re spending money every week to go visit your SO, you aren’t spending money on them regularly as if you were living near each other.  This means those date nights you pay for or the outfits/makeup you buy to prepare for said night, are no longer being spent.   Let’s face it.  The one who benefits the most from a long distance relationship, is your wallet.

5.  The End of It.

As much as I try to be the optimist and find the best aspects in any crappy situation, even I know that the best thing about being in a long distance relationship is when it is no longer a long distance relationship.  The day either you or your SO move into a closer location will be the best day of your relationship.  No more counting down the days til your next visit on your fingertips.  Say goodbye to spooning your pillow at night.  Farewell to going solo to parties, the club, or any social gathering for that matter.  You can spend as much time with your SO as you want (to a reasonable extent of course).  And along with that, you’ll have some travelling experiences under your belt, some new found hobbies, and an appreciation for those extra kisses they can now give you every day.

Congratulations, you’re finally home.

063_moment

With Love,

Meagan (and Adam)

I am a Creator. A Rockstar. A Romantic. I am an artist with the itch to design letters into words into stories that will resonate with you. My goal is to share with the world the thoughts in my head, ideas that will either inspire you or change you. I am a Writer. A Storyteller. I am Marvelous. Mischievous. Meagan.



%d bloggers like this: